Cheese topped chicken has been a firm family favorite for over 25 years. The dish is made by it’s chicken and bay leaf sauce. It’s important to get as much flavor out of the chicken as possible by using the skins as the oil source when frying the onions and cooking the sauce.
There is a healthier option where you discard the skins as soon as the onions are browned a little.
Served with Cauliflower Cheese with a hint of mustard or boiled potatoes and you are on to a winner
Cheese topped chicken
- large ovenproof dish
- large frying pan
- 4 Chicken thigh portions skin on
- 1 Large onion chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 6 – 8 black pepper corns whole
Sauce & topping
- 1 oz butter
- 1 oz flour
- Grated cheddar cheese enough to cover your ovenproof dish
- 3 slices bread chopped up or in medium sized crumbs
- Remove skins from the chicken (count them and make note)
- using the skins as fat, brown the diced onion. Keep going the more you do the better it gets.1 Large onion
- Add chicken portions, bay leaf, pepper corns, stock cube and some water to half fill the pan.3 bay leaves, 6 – 8 black pepper corns, 1 chicken stock cube
- Cook on the hob until the chicken is tender and no longer has any pink in the flesh .(about 35min)
- Remove the chicken skins, count them back out of the pan making sure not to leave any behind.
- Using an ovenproof dish and a colander, carefully strain the chicken and onion allowing the cooking liquid to drop into the oven proof dish (this will also warm the dish for you)
DO NOT "MESS" WITH THE LIQUID OR CHICKEN
DO NOT WASH YOUR COOKING PAN AFTER IT’S EMPTY
- using the same pan you cooked your chicken in, deglaze the stuck on chicken and onion with the butter heating till it’s melted then add the flour to make a roué and cook it till the flour mixture “fizzes”1 oz butter, 1 oz flour
- Pour your cooking liquid from the ovenproof dish in to your roué and allow it to thicken, add seasoning to your taste.
- Arrange your chicken and onions, so they fit together and are flat in the ovenproof dish.
- pour over the the sauce, just enough to ½ cover the chicken. Put the remaining sauce in a sauce boat for later.
- Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs and cheese and oven bake until the cheese melts and crispy but the bread isn’t burningGrated cheddar cheese, 3 slices bread