This take on the classic chicken Kiev but using chive not garlic for a lighter taste. A quick and simple meal, from fridge to table in 20 minutes.
Fantastic with mini roasted potatoes and a little garnish.
What if I don’t like …
Chives can be swapped out for Garlic, just prepare the same way but make sure you really mix the butter and garlic well, to avoid lumps of garlic.
If you don’t fancy garlic butter, it’s possible to use a little ham and cheese instead.
Breadcrumbs, this can be omitted if you can’t eat gluten. Use your normal bread and flour replacement instead
I really recommend that you don’t freeze or chill this meal after it has been cooked, the bread crumb doesn’t farewell being frozen and defrosted and of course it tastes better fresh.
The chicken and butter can be prepared in advance. But save coating till just before cooking for optimum crispness and not a soggy breadcrumb.
Chicken with chive butter
- Ovenproof frying pan
- 70 g Butter softened
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped chives
- 4 chicken breasts Boneless & skinless
- 50 g plain flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 120 g fresh bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/338°F
- Put the butter in the microwave for 10-15 seconds till soft and beat together the chives and some salt and pepper and place it back in the fridge to chill70 g Butter, 2 tbsp fresh chopped chives, Salt and pepper
- Placing the chicken breast flat on a chopping board, slice the breast in to the thickest part and slice to create a pocket.4 chicken breasts
- Taking the butter out of the fridge, fill the pocket with chive butter, pushing it in as deep as possible as you don't want it to leak out.
- Put the flour in to one bowl, the beaten eggs in the second and bread crumbs in to the third bowl.2 eggs beaten, 120 g fresh bread crumbs, 50 g plain flour
- Now dipping the chicken breasts in flour, eggs and then breadcrumbs. Making sure you get a good egg coating to try to seal the chicken to keep the butter in while cooking.
- Heat a large ovenproof frying pan on a medium heat until hot. Add a splash of olive oil and then add the chicken and fry for 2 minutes each side until golden.
- Transfer the frying pan to the oven for about 15 minutes, or till the chicken golden and cooked through.