“Classic” English fruit scones, perfect with jam and cream. These light and fully scones are nothing like store bought ones. And absolutely perfect on a warm summers’ day with fresh cream and strawberry jam
I can now whip up a batch of Scones in 15min including cooking time, Great for then you have short notice guests.
The milk and lemon juice sounds … well, odd, but it works.
"Classic" English fruit scones
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
"Classic" English fruit scones, perfect with jam and cream. These light and fully scones are nothing like store bought ones. And absolutely perfect on a warm summers' day with fresh cream and strawberry jam
- 350 grams self-raising flour.
- Pinch of salt.
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 90 grams butter
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 170 ml milk
- juice of a lemon
- 100 grams sultanas
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7/ 425F
- In a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter and rub the mixture to form "bread crumbs".
- Stir in the sugar and mix well.
- Take the milk and microwave for 10/20 seconds, so the milk is warm, but not hot. Add the vanilla extract, then pour in the add the lemon juice, stirring well.
- Make a well in the dry mix and pour in the milk mixture and stir well with a knife to form a dough, remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a floured surface.
- Make the dough roughly 4 cm / 1 1/2 inch deep and cut out using a 5 cm / 2-inch pastry cutter, remoulding the dough when required.
- Brush the tops with egg wash.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes until golden.
Leave a Reply