Just a few ingredients, a wok and 30 minuets later you’ll have a delicious meal for 4 ,fresh and tasty. without the wait for the takeout to deliver.
What is a fake-away
it’s a takeout style meal to cook at home. it’s a blend of Fake and Take-away.
What should I serve with “fake-away” Chinese chicken and vegetables?
Delicious with Savory rice or a golden vegetable rice, I cheated and used a packet golden vegetable rice. (affiliate link) this time but either make a refreshing change from plain white or brown rice. (and children seem to love it).
Storage tips for “fake-away” Chinese chicken and vegetables
If you want to store this for another day, this is the prefect meal, long as you follow some sensible guidance.
- transfer to smaller containers
- you can freeze cooked chicken up to 4 months.
- spread it out over a tray (rice) to aid cooling
- any rice you can save for up to one month in the freezer. but no longer.
- Stir frequently till it has cooled
More information can be found by checking out this food.gov.uk PDF or checking out the link below
What if I don’t like…
- if you don’t like broccoli, it can be swapped out for Mange tout peas (snow or sugar pea).
- reduce the amount of oyster sauce if you do swap out the broccoli for Mange tout peas (snow or sugar pea) as not to over power them
- Chicken can be swapped for diced pork, but ensure you adjust the cooking times to allow extra for the pork to cook.
“fake-away” Chinese chicken and vegetables
- 2 chicken breasts diced
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- ½ tsp of fresh ginger minced
- 200 g button mushrooms quartered
- 5 spring onions trimmed and sliced
- 1 pack tender stem broccoli
- 2 tbsp Dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 200 ml stock 1 chicken stock cube and one vegetable stock pot in 200ml hot water
- 2 carrots pealed and sliced or chopped
- in your wok or frying pan heat a little oil and add the chicken and fry for a few minutes until browned. Remove the chicken from the heat and place in a bowl on the side.2 chicken breasts
- Add the onions, ginger, mushrooms, and garlic and fry string regularly till the starting to soften. Add the carrots, spring onions and broccoli florets.1 medium white onion, 1 garlic clove, ½ tsp of fresh ginger, 200 g button mushrooms, 5 spring onions , 2 carrots , 1 pack tender stem broccoli
- Add the chicken back in to the pan and stir in the soy sauce, rice vinegar, oyster sauce and stock that should have dissolved by now.2 tbsp Dark soy sauce, 2 tbsp Oyster sauce, 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 200 ml stock
- allow to cook though on a simmer for 10 minutes or till the sauce has slightly thickened.
- After checking there is no pink in the chicken. Serve and enjoy!
if you enjoyed this you might enjoy Easy “Pizza” Stuffed Chicken as another alternative to a take-out.