Spicy Cajun chicken with Sweet potato mash, the Chicken is mildly spicy with a sweetness from the chili sauce in the mashed sweet potato, it is then finished perfectly with the saltiness of the feta cheese
What should I serve with
On its own with the mashed sweet potato or with a lovely couscous salad with sweet corn.
- Cooked chicken can be kept for up to 3 months in the freezer
- the coating on the chicken may not weather so well in the freezer.
- The mashed sweet potatoes can be kept up to 12 months once frozen
- Make sure you follow safe food cooling practices
- Transfer to smaller containers.
- Spread out over a baking tray to cool quicker.
- Stir the meal until has cooled
- this is only a guide, please use your judgment.
What if I don’t like… in Spicy Cajun chicken with Sweet potato mash
- Okra, this can be left out if you don’t’ want it but, if you’ve never tried it before I recommend you do.
- Bacon. I’ve not tried this but Smoked turkey bacon could work or one of the meat free options.
Spicy Cajun chicken
- parchment paper
- large frying pan
- large pan
- 800 g Sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp Sweet chili sauce
- 4 chicken breasts skinless
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp Polenta
- 2 rashers Smoked bacon
- 175 g Okra frozen
- 20 g Feta Cheese
- Wash the sweet potatoes and remove the skin with a potato peeler and finely slice (You can use a food processor).800 g Sweet potatoes
- Put the sweet potato in a large and add just enough water to just cover add a pinch of salt and cover.800 g Sweet potatoes
- Toss the chicken with salt, Cajun seasoning and Polenta4 chicken breasts, 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning, 1 tbsp Polenta
- Then on a large sheet of parchment paper, put the chicken and fold the paper over and using a rolling pin flatten the chicken to 1.5cm / ½ an inch.
- Put some oil in a frying pan, add the chicken, turning after 4 or 5 minutes until golden and cooked though and there is no pink flesh in the chicken.4 chicken breasts
- Drain the sweet potatoes and return to the pan and mash using the sweet chili sauce. Put a lid on the pan and return now powered off hob to keep warm.800 g Sweet potatoes, 2 tbsp Sweet chili sauce
- Slice the bacon and add to the drying pan and leave to crisp and brown a little.2 rashers Smoked bacon
- When the bacon is browning, add the frozen okra to the pan.175 g Okra
- Leave until the bacon has cooked,
- Serve the chicken on the mashed potatoes topped with bacon and okra and finissh by crumbling the feta cheese over it all20 g Feta Cheese
if you enjoyed this you might enjoy...