Sweet and sour baked chicken made without the usual pineapple but still tastes true to the one we get at the takeaway. With a delicious chicken in a fine coating of amchoor powder and garlic salt then fried before baking for an hour in the oven.
I made this once before, and I’ve been craving it since. So when I had the opportunity to make it again I jumped on the chance.Richard Thomas
Make sure the chicken is cooked for a minimum of 2 minuets in the oil, this will help stop the “fatty texture” of the thigh meat.
What should I serve this with Sweet and sour baked chicken?
You would expect some nice boiled rice or golden vegetable rice. (affiliate link). But I like it on a nice crispy salad on a hot summer’s day. It also goes well with noodles, either flavored or plain ones.
Storage of Sweet and sour baked chicken?
Once the chicken is cooked it will keep for 3 days, it might not keep it’s crispiness.
Can i store this in the freezer?
The chicken should freeze okay, but it’s “crispiness” might not survive the defrosting process. So i wouldn’t freeze and just enjoy it while it’s fresh.
Sweet and sour baked chicken
- Baking tray
- parchment paper
- Small pan
- 500 g Boneless chicken thighs cut in to 3rds along the meat to make long strips
- Garlic salt to taste
- ½ tsp amchoor powder
- 2 tbsp Cornflour
- Oil for frying
- 100 g sugar
- 125 ml white malt vinegar
- 2 tbsp red chili sauce
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 175°c /350°F and line a baking tray with parchment, this will make the tidy up much easier.
- Sprinkle the chicken with garlic salt and amchoor powder and pop to one side while you get everything ready. (15min)½ tsp amchoor powder, Garlic salt
- In a wok heat some oil about 1inch (2.5 cm) over a medium heat till the oil is hot.Oil for frying
- Roll the chicken pieces in cornflour and coat them well, then fry them in the oil for 3 min each or until lightly browned, then put them to one side,500 g Boneless chicken thighs cut in to 3rds along the meat to make long strips, 2 tbsp Cornflour
- Mix together, Sugar, vinegar, chili sauce, ketchup, soy sauce and the orange juice over medium high heat, stirring till the sugar dissolves and the mixture starts to thicken.100 g sugar, 125 ml white malt vinegar, 2 tbsp red chili sauce, 4 tbsp ketchup, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce, ¼ cup orange juice, Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Place the chicken on a parchment paper, pour the sauce over the chicken, but down drown it and bake for 1 hour until browned and crispy.
- Save any sauce that doesn't fit on the tray and put on a low heat to thicken more while the chicken cooks in the oven
you may also enjoy